Boston & Vancouver, May 2019 – Scenic Eclipse, the world’s first Discovery Yacht, unveiled a first look at the technology and interior of its custom-designed Scenic Neptune submarine. Custom built for optimal sightseeing and capable of diving to a depth of 300 meters (980 feet) with seating for up to six guests plus the pilot, the precise and responsive maneuverability of Scenic Neptune will amaze both first-time and experienced divers.
Scenic Neptune pilot Remy Izendooren added, “Guests will embark on an awe-inspiring adventure to the underwater world. Volcanic pinnacles, sheer walls, majestic wrecks, a wide diversity of marine life and beautiful reefs lie waiting to be discovered. The world has many spectacular dive sites waiting for us to explore, from sunken wrecks and vibrant tropical reefs to a sea floor teeming with life in Antarctica.”
The adventures are endless, the experiences are individual, and the guests’ unique access to some of nature’s most beautiful yet most unexplored destinations is immeasurable.
Scenic Neptune key design and innovative features include:
- Up to eight dives per day at speeds of up to three knots.
- The specially-commissioned design meets international design standards and provides unmatched comfort, space and style, with maximum legroom and headroom while minimizing overall weight and size.
- Scenic Neptune’s acrylic spheres are constructed from a material which has the same refraction index as seawater, therefore it visually disappears underwater and provides a very open and spacious feeling with a viewing field that nearly encircles the guest.
- Controls are designed for ease of management with the standard UIS (U-Boat Worx Information System) and display all pertinent information to the pilot via a large touchscreen monitor.
- Internal climate control and a surround sound music system form part of the fine detailing, together with a guest-focused structure to facilitate ease of boarding and disembarking.
- The unique design consists of three-person sphere glass pods on the front and at the back of the submarine, allowing for six guests plus the pilot, who is located between the two pods, behind the guests. The seats are mounted on platforms that swivel 280 degrees to allow near panoramic viewing without the need to turn the submarine.
- Strong exterior lights showcase the hidden colors of the deep as well as details of wrecks and other underwater sights.
- Each U-Boat Worx submarine is designed, built and rigorously tested to the highest standards and certified by the leading classification organization, DNV GL.
- Multiple safety features are incorporated at every stage and include features such as automatically resurfacing in the unlikely event of a power outage.
- All U-Boat Worx submarines have been carefully designed to ensure total stability while at the surface. Its decks provide easy and safe access for the passengers. Ergonomically designed handles and supports make the boarding procedures of U-Boat Worx submersibles very efficient.
- Each submersible can be towed at speed or travel under its own power on the surface. Irrespective of sea conditions, U-Boat Worx submersibles maintain full responsiveness and power at all times, making docking alongside another vessel much easier.
Based in the Netherlands, U-Boat Worx is the world’s largest manned submersible manufacturer. For more than 12 years they have delivered private submersibles to a variety of discerning individuals and organizations, culminating in one of the largest fleets worldwide.
Scenic Neptune activities are dependent upon conditions, incur additional costs, and are subject to availability.
The first sailing of Scenic Eclipse will be August 15, 2019 – an Iceland & Atlantic Canada sailing from Reykjavik to Quebec, followed by sailings down the eastern seaboard of North America.