One of my favorite indulgences while cruising is fine dining… and the cruise line have some of the best cuisine to be found- both at sea and on land. This is due in great part to the effort they put into recruiting the best chefs, as demonstrated by the fact that Master Chef Nobu Matsuhisa will be aboard Crystal Serenity in May as Executive Chef in Silk Road and the Sushi Bar, his specialty restaurants with Crystal Cruises.
Foodies will be delighted to hear that world-renown Japanese chef plans to give cooking instructions, personally prepare dishes, take pictures with guests, and sign autographs during a 12-day western European/Mediterranean voyage departing May 24.
Oceania reports that the chef will provide the following opportunities for guests on that cruise:
- Nightly appearances and guest mingling in Silk Road and the Sushi Bar
- Special add-on “Omakase” dinner, with sake and sake champagne pairings chosen by Sake Master Fumio Hazu, the man behind Nobu’s exclusive “living” Hokosetsu sake, plus explanations of each course by both.
- Intimate hands-on cooking class in Crystal’s kitchen for 10-12 guests
- Cooking demonstration for all guests
- Autograph signings of “NOBU’S Vegetarian Cookbook” and “NOBU the Cookbook”
- Photo opportunities
- Sake tasting with Japanese hors d’oeuvres, hosted by Mr. Hazu
Chef Matsuhisa’s Japanese-Peruvian fusion has been served on board the Crystal Symphony and Crystal Serenity since 2003 and 2008, respectively. His role with Crystal is to personally train all chefs, design all menus, and make ship visits for ongoing improvement of the program.
In addition to Chef Matsuhisa, Chef Heinz Beck (of Rome’s three Michelin Star La Pergola), Mixologist Tony Abou-Ganim, and Master Sommelier Bob Bath are also scheduled to host tastings and demonstrations during the May 24 “Wine and Food”-themed cruise. A seven-course “Ultimate Vintage Room Dinner” prepared by Beck and Bath will feature impossible-to-purchase fine wines for approximately $1,000/person.
The “Bordeaux and Beyond” sailing departs from London/Dover for Bordeaux/Bassens (overnight), Lisbon, Gibraltar, Monte Carlo (overnight), Florence/Livorno, Porto Venere, and Rome/Civitavecchia.