The American Queen Steamboat Company has introduced a new culinary program onboard the American Empress, which began her inaugural season April 5, 2014. Staying true to her Pacific Northwest surroundings, the culinary team is taking full advantage of the region’s freshest seafood and produce including sustainable fish, free-range chicken and artisan cheeses along with seasonal fruits and vegetables. In addition, guests have the opportunity to taste the top local beers, wines and liquors as the vessel passes through the majestic scenery of the Columbia and Snake Rivers.
“The farms and rivers of Washington and Oregon are home to a diverse bounty of ingredients unlike any other area of the country.” shares American Queen Steamboat Company President and COO Ted Sykes. “We pride ourselves in sourcing local from the community the American Empress calls home and the menus continue to receive rave reviews from our guests.”
Menu highlights include:
- Marinated Dungeness Crab Salad with Asparagus-Dill Mousse; Chilled marinated crab with a classic asparagus-dill mousse
- Split Pea and Smoked Tomato Soup; topped with toasted rye croutons
- Pepper Crusted Quail with Applewood Smoked Bacon; Semi-boneless quail, crisp applewood bacon, greens, corn pudding and red wine demi-glace
- Washington Apple and Ripe Pear Salad; Mixed greens julienne apple and sliced pear with candied walnuts, celery and raspberry vinaigrette
- “Cold Smoked” Salmon; Sliced applewood smoked salmon, capers, cream cheese, red onion, hard cooked egg and crostini
- Wild Forrest Mushroom Crepe; Sautéed wild harvested local mushrooms wrapped in a delicate crepe, served with pinot noir reduction
- Oregon Trail Beef Brisket Sandwich; Sliced beef brisket smothered in rich sauce and served on a soft roll with trail beans, day pickles and horseradish sauce
Regional beer includes:
- Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA, Full Sail Amber, Deschutes Black Butte Porter, Deschutes Red Chair Northwest Pale Ale, Pyramid Hefeweizen, Pyramid Apricot Ale, Deschutes River Ale
Regional wine by the glass in addition to tastings with 40 different wineries include:
In addition to the elegant Astoria Dining Room, the River Grille has quickly become a favorite location for guests to dine and take in the majestic scenery. Offering a more casual setting with both indoor and al fresco dining, menu highlights include local smoked and grilled salmon, Dungeness crab and freshly cut steaks.