Thinking of planning a family cruise?
I just checked in with AdventureSmith Explorations and see that they’ve put together a list of what they consider to be the best family cruises for late 2011 through 2012. I love the way these cruises focus not on the ship experience (you won’t find mega water parks or 3-D movie theaters aboard these vessels), but on the off-ship adventures and cross-cultural experiences. I’ve written about AdventureSmith before (here, and here) because I love their approach to cruising. President Todd Smith has pledged to leave a small ecological footprint, pushing for sustainable travel and a carbon free cruising initiative, and that resonates with me on a very basic level.
AdventureSmith has listed the upcoming cruises as their top choices for families- and, even better, they’re currently discounting these voyages. They’re a wonderful way to introduce your children to the wonders of worldwide travel.
Late Fall – Early Spring
- Baja – Experience the Aquarium of the World aboard the 22-passenger Safari Quest with departures Dec 24-31, 2011 and Dec 31-Jan 7 (special $400 off ages 12-19) and over spring break: Mar. 3-10 and Mar. 24-31, 2012. There’s a 25 percent discount for ages 12 and under.
- Panama Canal & Costa Rica aboard the 62-passenger National Geographic Sea Lion from now through March. There’s a $500 savings ages 18 and under.
Early Spring – Mid Summer
- Galapagos on 20-passenger Eric or Letty or Flamingo, with family departures between Mar. 4-Apr. 8 and May 27-Aug. 19. Discounts are 25 percent off for ages 11 and under and 15 percent off for ages 12-17.
- Hawaiian Seascapes aboard the 36-passenger Safari Explorer, with dedicated family cruises in 2012; Mar. 8-15 and Mar. 24-31 and in 2013; Mar. 9-16 and Mar. 30-Apr. 6. There’s a 25 percent discount for ages 12 and under.
- Alaska Eastern Coves Adventure Cruise aboard the 60-passenger Wilderness Adventurer, with designated family trips June 23-30, July 21-28, Aug. 4-11, 2012. There’s a 25 percent discount for ages 12 and under.
- Glacier Bay National Park – Discover Glacier Country aboard the 22-passenger Safari Quest with departures June 22-29, and July 20-27, 2012. There’s a 25 percent savings on ages 12 and under.
- Galapagos aboard the 100-passenger National Geographic Endeavour with year-round departures. Ages 18 and under save $500.
- Peruvian Amazon Cruise aboard the 28-passenger Delfin II with year-round departures. There’s a 20 percent discount for ages under 12.
- Borneo – Camp Leaky / Faces in the Forest cruise aboard the 100-passenger Orion II with year-round departures. Ages 2-15 save 75 percent when sharing with two adults.