One of the highlights of any cruise is the food. The variety, availability and the abundance of food is something the entire family can enjoy. Many cruise lines offer special options for children.
Carnival Cruise Line
Carnival has kids’ menus at most of their dining venues. The menu includes favorites like spaghetti and meatballs, chicken nuggets, hot dogs, mac-n-cheese, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and fresh fruit and veggies.
Kids Meals for Campers:
If you choose, your children can each lunch and dinner most days in Carnival’s children’s camp. Pizza, quesadillas, grilled cheese, fruit, fries, spaghetti, chicken nuggets, hot dogs, mac-n-cheese and more are all on the menu.
Celebrity Cruises offers a special kid’s menus in the main dining room with kid friendly entrees and desserts. A special kids favorite section in the Oceanview Café with a rotating menu with kids favorites like hot dogs, mac and cheese, mashed potatoes and a Kids Favorites dessert section in the Oceanview Café. Plus, there is always pizza, ice cream and more.
Crystal offers a Junior Cruiser’s menu, and Crystal’s executive chefs and culinary staff are always pleased to prepare custom dishes. The Trident Grill serves complimentary hot dogs, hamburgers, pizza and more.
Aboard Cunard’s ships children are welcome to dine in any of the dining areas on board. There is a children’s menu available in the main dining room. Children are welcoming the alternative dining areas, but there is not a standard children’s menu available in these venues.
Meals are not provided in the children’s facilities however snacks are provided in the playrooms.
The Lido restaurant provides a designated children’s tea, with parental supervision required. Further details and menus will be available on board.
Children’s tea parties take place at the following locations at the approximate times:
Queen Mary 2 – Chefs Galley 4:45pm to 5:30pm daily
Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth If there is a significant number of under 10-year-olds, a children’s tea buffet is held in the Lido from 5:00pm to 5:45pm daily. If there are only a few children on board, a formal set up is not offered however the food is always available in the Lido.
Full details will be supplied to you once on board.
Disney Cruise Line
With main dining rooms featuring different themes based on Disney’s favorite characters and movies, the dining experience is just as important as the food for kids on board a Disney Cruise. Disney offers children’s menus in their main dining rooms. You’ll also find Mickey-shaped waffles for breakfast, and kids favorites like pizza, chicken, burgers and fun dessert options in the casual dining areas. With Disney’s Rotational Dining you can experience each of the themed restaurants on board. Each night you and your wait staff will rotate to one of the three themed restaurants on board.
Some of the dining themes onboard include:
- The Royal Court Dining Room aboard the Disney Fantasy and The Royal Palace aboard the Disney Dream are modeled after Disney favorites like Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty and Beauty and the Beast. All around the space you’ll find touches that incorporate these movies.
- Enchanted Garden Dining Room aboard the Disney Fantasy and Disney Dream offers a magical French Conservatory theme with glass flower lights and a fountain featuring a stone cherub Mickey. The ceiling changes from daytime, sun set, and finally a night time complete with stars. The flower lights bloom, wall sconces turn into folding fans and more magical touches will provide entertainment.
- Tritons’s aboard the Disney Wonder is based on The Little Mermaid with Ariel statues, and underwater décor.
- Lumiere’s aboard the Disney Magic is based on Beauty and the Beast.
Royal Court Tea-This tea party with the Disney Princesses takes place in a story book setting with teas and a sweet and savory course of food. Stories, singing and dancing with the Princesses will make this an experience to remember. There is a fee for this experience and we recommend making reservations far in advance.
Holland America Line
Kids and families love the wide selection of food choices available when dining on board Holland America Line ships. There are special kids menus in the Dining Room, the Lido Restaurant, and the Terrace Grill.
Holland America Line has launched a kids and teen Culinary Arts Center activity program. The program incorporates dishes from breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks in complimentary classes lasting 45 minutes each. All kids, tweens and teens are welcome to attend.
The preparations range from simple to teen sophisticate. Kids under eight years old will learn to make Bear Tracks (Alaska theme cookies), Fruit Leather (fruit roll-ups), Ice Cream Sandwiches, Salad People Art, and Denali Peaks (Alaska Theme Scones). Kids eight and over will delight in making Soft Pretzels, Granola Bars, Pita Chips and Hummus, and Saltwater Taffy.
Aboard MSC Cruises children have their own menus of Mediterranean and international cuisine and their own dining entertainment options.
- Main Restaurant Children’s Menu available on board the whole fleet. For all Mediterranean destinations, the menus will offer preparations suitable for children who are older than one year, together with a special selection of dishes suitable for babies between 6 and 12 months of age, thanks to a new partnership with the Osservatorio Chicco.
- Dedicated children’s section in Main Restaurant Breakfast Menu
- Tex-Mex Restaurant Children’s Menu
- Yacht Club kids’ menu
- Buffet Restaurant Kids Corner of constantly changing favorites
- Scrumptious poolside snacks and treats
- Fun Time Dinners – Kids dinners with the entertainment staff every day in the buffet restaurant plus terrific themed parties. Let your kids be entertained while you savor special moments of your own! (Free service)
- Happy Dinners – A snappy dinner with the family in the Main Restaurant, choosing from a dedicated children’s menu. When the children have finished at their usual enthusiastic speed, they are escorted to Miniclub play by the entertainment staff while the adults sit back and relax into a leisurely dining experience (Free service)
- Generation Dinners – Teenager dinners with the entertainment staff in the buffet restaurant every day
Norwegian Cruise Line
With Norwegian’s Freestyle Dining, families can eat where you want, when you want. Plus, kids age 3 and under always eat for free and kids 4-12 can order from the complimentary kids’ menu at most Specialty restaurants.
The dining options onboard Princess’s ships allow parents the freedom and flexibility to dine with their children or on their own. Parents may wish to spend time with their children while they eat an early dinner at the pizzeria, in the 24-hour Horizon Court buffet, or in their stateroom with 24-hour room service. Or, families may wish to dine together in one of the upscale restaurants, which offer a special children’s menu. Anytime Dining is recommended for families who want to dine together, so children may fully participate in the evening youth activities. There are also kids-only dinners offered on select evenings and ice cream and pizza parties with the Youth Staff.
Royal Caribbean has a wide variety of dining options on board. From the main dining rooms to the any casual and specialty dining everyone is sure to be able to find something that they love. With more than 20 dining locations available on many of their ships it’s easy to find something your children will love.
What makes Royal Caribbean stand out for families is My Family Time Dining. When you opt for My Family Time Dining your kids will be served right away before the staff from the Adventure Ocean children’s program picks them up to enjoy the children’s activities, leaving you to enjoy your meal.
My Family Time Dining is offered for the first seating time in the main dining room, for children ages three to 11. Kids enjoy their meal within 40 minutes of seating, before heading to the evening’s Adventure Ocean activities. The program starts the second evening you’re onboard. After that, you can use it each evening or whenever you wish.