Boston & Vancouver, August 6, 2019 – Scenic Luxury Cruises & Tours has today confirmed it took delivery of Scenic Eclipse on July 26 from the Uljanik Shipyard. Scenic Eclipse departed the shipyard at 8:00PM on Saturday, July 27, on its journey to Valetta, Malta for registration. From there, she will make a number of short stops before arriving in Reykjavik, Iceland, where she will commence operations of her first scheduled cruise. The inaugural voyage is a 13-day discovery sailing via Greenland and Eastern Canada before arriving in Quebec on August 27. And then heading to NYC for its Christening by Godmother Dame Helen Mirren.
In addition, Scenic today released footage of the final tests and trials of the state-of-the-art Airbus H130 helicopters. The video shows the helicopters landing on the deck of Scenic Eclipse and being stored in the specially-designed onboard hangars. As one of the quietest helicopters in the skies, the H130 sets the standard for tourism operations worldwide and will give guests the opportunity to explore beyond the horizon, with unparalleled access to some of nature’s most beautiful sites.
“These final stages are significant highlights in any ship build,” said Scenic Founder and Chairman, Glen Moroney, “and particularly for a vessel of the technological sophistication of Scenic Eclipse. I’m very proud to say Eclipse has been successfully certified for passenger ship operations, has been officially registered, and we are now in the final stages of preparations for our inaugural voyage.”
Scenic Eclipse Facts
- 114 all-verandah suites;
- 10 dining options – from Asian Fusion to French fine dining to a chef’s table to a poolside buffet;
- a 5,920 ft² spa with a well-equipped gym and separate yoga and Pilates studio;
- two six-guest helicopters and one six-guest submarine capable of depths of nearly 1,000 feet — to allow for explorations far beyond any done on expedition ships to date;
- a luxurious theater for entertainment and lectures;
- indoor and outdoor plunge pools;
- butler service for all guests and an almost 1:1 guest-to-staff ratio.
- innovative zero-speed stabilizer fins, 50% larger than standard to provide greater stability;
- the highest passenger ship ice class rating – Polar Class 6;
- redundancies in propulsion, navigation, safety systems and food refrigeration;
- state-of-the-art bridge systems;
- and a GPS dynamic positioning system allowing for stationary positioning without an anchor, reducing any environmental affect in sensitive regions.
Scenic Luxury Cruises & Tours has grown over its 33-year history to include award-winning, all-inclusive escorted tours that take participants to many of the world’s most fascinating destinations and, since 2008, truly all-inclusive, five-star river cruises in Europe, SE Asia, Russia and Egypt on its 15 Space-Ships. On August 15, 2019, Scenic is introducing the world’s first Discovery Yacht, the 228-guest Scenic Eclipse. Sister brand Emerald Waterways has seven Star-Ships offering European river sailings with an eighth (Emerald Harmony) launching this year for SE Asia’s Mekong River. Exclusive charters are offered on SE Asia’s Irrawaddy River; the Volga River in Russia; yacht cruises out of Croatia; and Egypt’s Nile River.
Press release, photo, and video courtesy of Scenic Cruises.