Crystal Cruises’ guests and crew will have more opportunities – almost twice as many more – to give back locally during 2014’s World Cruise. With an expanded You Care, We Care program during Crystal Serenity’s 89-day, LA to London global journey (departing January 18), volunteers can help underprivileged children, the eco-system, or a local memorial, in Hawaii, Asia, and/or Africa, with Crystal handling all costs and logistics. Typically, Crystal offers one complimentary voluntour per cruise, always aiding a small, local organization. However, the World
Cruise’s five segments next year boast seven unique excursions in seven ports. Assistance opportunities include:
- Gardening and weeding Honolulu’s Makapu’u Beach to help preserve dwindling native plant life.
- Helping build structures and clean playgrounds at Father’s Home Care Ministries’ home for disadvantaged children in Takoradi, Ghana.
- Reading to underprivileged children to improve literacy as part of Singapore’s LIFE program (offered on two World Cruise segments).
- Teaching, singing, gardening and playing with orphans in Sihanoukville, Cambodia.
- Preparing meals, babysitting, or reading to the abandoned, abused, neglected or orphaned children of Baphumelele Children’s Home near Cape Town, South Africa.
- Crafting the commemorative candles to be lit at Nagasaki’s annual Peace Ceremony, in remembrance of the lives lost to WWII’s atomic bomb.
- Engaging in the day-to-day programs (knitting, gardening, schoolwork, etc.) of the orphaned children raised and cared for by families in Durban, South Africa’s SOS Children’s Village.
“Our You Care, We Care participants have cherished connecting to the destinations in such an intimate, interactive, and compassionate way,” says Thomas Mazloum, Crystal’s executive vice president. “They love seeing facets of a culture not usually visited on a luxury vacation, and return to the ship feeling like they may have made a difference, however small or large. Just a few hours together can be incredibly informative, enriching, and so memorable, for both the recipients and those giving.”
March 10’s Singapore to Cape Town segment should prove to be especially appealing to the philanthropic-minded, with three different You Care, We Care opportunities during the 18-day voyage.
Since launching in 2011, Crystal’s You Care, We Care program has aided more than 50 in-need communities around the world, with new organizations constantly reviewed by the Land Programs team year-round. Some communities are visited just once a year, while others have been visited several times a season, and returned to the following year, building goodwill over multiple visits. Recent You Care, We Care excursions have included:
- St. John, New Brunswick: Sorting donated clothing and serving food to refugees and other less fortunate at the Romero House community food kitchen.
- Cartagena, Colombia: Aiding impoverished “barrio” villagers via the Granitos de Paz Foundation.
- Barcelona: Helping protect endangered marine life at the CRAM Foundation for the Rehabilitation and Conservation of Marine Animals.
- Belfast: Contributing to conservation efforts for a 200 year-old British garden.
- Lunenberg: Raising funds to help operate the no-kill SHAID Animal Shelter.
A cornerstone of Crystal Cruises’ culture is its genuine hospitality and service that has been internationally celebrated for two decades. This spirit of generosity extends to its respectful treatment of the environment, oceans and communities in which it travels.