The Dutch are great soup eaters, often featuring soup as a main dish. This hearty soup, enriched with Gouda cheese, is perfect served piping hot on a chilly evening. Gouda is the quintessential Dutch cheese to use: a young Gouda will give you a soft, mild taste, while an aged one will provide more complex and robust flavor.
- ¼ C (59 ml) vegetable oil
- ½ C (76 g) onions, diced
- 1 C (230 g) cauliflower, diced
- 2 med potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 med carrots, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 C (946 ml) low sodium chicken broth
- 2 T (29 g) butter
- 4 oz (113 g) canadian bacon, diced
- 5 oz (142 g) Gouda cheese, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ½-in (13-mm) slices sourdough baguette
Place oil in a 1½-quart (1420-ml) saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté until soft; add cauliflower, carrots and potatoes; sauté 5 minutes. Stir in chicken broth and simmer. Meanwhile, heat butter in a small skillet; add canadian bacon; sauté until lightly browned; add to soup. Reduce heat to low and cover, simmering until vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes. Pour soup into 4 individual ovenproof bowls, topping each with 2 bread slices and one quarter of cheese. Place under broiler until cheese is bubbly and serve immediately.
Prep time: 12 minutes. Cook time: 30 minutes. Makes 4 servings.