Hurtigruten ASA cannot accept children under the age of 5 to travel with to Antarctica. There is no age restriction on other destinations. For safety reasons, children under 12 years of age will be considered on each landing. It is entirely at the Captain’s discretion to allow children on shore landings.
There are no child-specific programs on most Hurtigruten ships.
Aboard the MS Midnatsol, on sailings from Novmeber 2016 to March 2017, Hurtiguten is offering a complementary Young Explorers Program. This program is designed for children between 7 and 13.
- SCIENCE: Activities using the science center, looking into biology and geology of the Southern Ocean via real field samples.
- POLAR HISTORY: Activities both on board and in the field – including an actual re-creation of the Amundsen party reaching the South Pole!
- PHOTOGRAPHY: Activities with our onboard professional photographers
- NAUTICAL: Fun activities with our navigation officers – plus an exclusive meeting with the Captain
- Every task completed in the workbook will receive one stamp
- Children who complete the workbook will get a prize and an official certificate with an official ‘Ship Stamp’ from the Captain
- All children receive an exclusive Young Explorers hat with program logo