(On international flights, many airlines have 3 classes of service—economy, enhanced economy and business class.) Business class is far more comfortable, akin to “first class” on a domestic flight; I try to fly it at every opportunity.
Sometimes, however, I get stuck in Coach/Economy.
So here are some of my favorite optional services/items that can make your trip more enjoyable:
- Curbside Check In- Ordinarily $2-3. If you must check bags, this takes some of the aggravation out of the process.
- Food: Ranges from $2 to $10 on the plane… Perhaps a bit pricey, but a true convenience, it eliminates the need fix sandwiches before leaving for the airport. Who wants to pack more to carry around?
- Blankets/Pillows: Usually $7 to $15 to purchase on the plane- A blanket and/or pillow can mean the difference between arriving at your destination exhausted or (at least moderately) rested. No more packing these items, and the purchased version is brand new, not the traditional reused pillows and blankets.
- Early Boarding/Deplaning: Pricing $9 to $50. This doesn’t really help if you’ve checked bags, you’ll just wait at the luggage carousel anyway, but deplaning quickly is great for those who travel with only carry-on luggage.
- In-Flight Entertainment—Generally $5 to $7. The in-transit time is never the most fun part of travel. A $7 movie is a bargain if it helps pass the time; true for both kids and adults.
If you are willing (and able) to bite the bullet and pay the extra cost for a business class upgrade, Silversea has good news for you: flying just got friendlier for your pocketbook!
Silversea, who is currently offering free economy air on many sailings, in now offering a $999 (each way) upgrade to Business Class air on 8 of their new Asian itineraries in 2011. And as an added bonus, Silversea is offering a $500 Onboard Spending Credit on many of these voyages. It can be used toward shore excursions and many other onboard purchases, such as spa treatments, and dining in specialty restaurants.
The upgrades, starting from just $999, are now available on the following Asian itineraries in 2011:
- Silver Shadow, March 19 – 28, Singapore to Hong Kong, with calls in Ho Chi Minh City, Nha Trang, Chan May, Ha Long Bay and Haiphong. Voyage also offers a $500 Onboard Spending Credit per suite ($250 per person).
- Silver Spirit, March 22 – April 3, Hong Kong to Singapore, with calls in Haiphong, Ha Long Bay, Ho Chi Minh City, Bangkok and Ko Samui.
- Silver Shadow, March 28 – April 6, Hong Kong to Singapore, with calls in Haiphong, Ha Long Bay, Chan May, Nha Trang and Ho Chi Minh City. Voyage also offers a $500 Onboard Spending Credit per suite ($250 per person).
- Silver Shadow, April 15 – 27, Hong Kong to Tokyo, with calls in Keelung, Shanghai, Nagasaki, Kagoshima and Osaka. Voyage also offers a $500 Onboard Spending Credit per suite ($250 per person).
- Silver Shadow, April 27 – May 7, Tokyo to Shanghai, with calls in Hiroshima, Busan, Jeju, and Tianjin (Beijing). Voyage also offers a $500 Onboard Spending Credit per suite ($250 per person).
- Silver Shadow, May 7 – 17, Shanghai to Tokyo, with calls in Tianjin (Beijing), Jeju, Busan, and Hiroshima. Voyage also offers a $500 Onboard Spending Credit per suite ($250 per person).
- Silver Shadow, May 17 – 30, Tokyo to Anchorage, with calls in Hakodate, Kushiro, Kamchatka, Dutch Harbor, Kodiak and Homer. Voyage also offers a $500 Onboard Spending Credit per suite ($250 per person).
In addition to many voyages in the Mediterranean and Northern Europe next year, the $999 Business Class air upgrade is also now available on:
- Silver Spirit, April 18 – May 3, Dubai to Athens, with calls in Muscat, Safaga, Aqaba, Sharm el Sheikh and Alexandria.
- Silver Spirit, May 3 – 19, Athens to Southampton, with calls in Taormina, Sorrento, Rome, Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Malaga, Lisbon, Bilbao and Guernsey.
Some things to be aware of with these great Silversea packages:
- The promotional Business Class air upgrade offer, which applies to the transoceanic portion of the flight itinerary, is available from select gateways and is a capacity-controlled program. )
- A free roundtrip economy air package, that includes transfers between airport and pier on the day of embarkation and disembarkation, is available from 22 gateway cities in the U.S. and Canada. It is a capacity-controlled program offered for a limited time. Additionally, there are specially priced air programs available from another 50 cities.
- The $500 Onboard Spending Credit offer is a capacity-controlled program and subject to availability. The Onboard Spending Credit is offered per suite, not per voyage, and only once to guests sailing on consecutive voyages.
Additional restrictions may apply, so be sure to check with your agent.