Hapag-Lloyd Cruises announces the arrival of their 2014-2015 expeditions brochure, offering eleven itineraries operated in English and German. The small and beautifully appointed expedition ships, MS HANSEATIC and MS BREMEN will be traveling to Siberia, the Chukchi Peninsula and Wrangle Island, Antarctica, the Chilean Fjords, Cape Verde, the Amazon, Alaska, and the Northwest Passage in 2014-2015. The HANSEATIC, the world’s only 5-star expedition ship and the BREMEN, a 4-star plus expedition ship, were built to provide intensive exploration in the most elegant surroundings for a maximum of 184 guests on the HANSEATIC and 164 guests on the BREMEN.
NEW ITINERARY AND DESTINATION – Expedition Siberia
Away from the explored regions of civilization lies terra incognita – the unknown territory. During a premiere expedition on the HANSEATIC, guests will experience one of the most remote corners of the world and explore the region of Primorye, taking in the unspoiled nature of the deep southeast of Siberia. This unique itinerary makes stops in Pusan/Republic of Korea, various stops in Siberia/Russia, Rimsky Islands, Vladivostok, and Rishiri and Otaru Japan. The HANSEATIC is one of the few non-Russian ships to set out on this cruising adventure along the Siberian coast.
– Trip Details: This 15-day itinerary is from May 11-26, 2014, from Shanghai/China to Otaru/Japan, rates start at $9,360 per person/ based on double occupancy, cruise-only.
NEW ITINERARY AND DESTINATION – Wrangel Island and Chukchi Peninsula
Even if you have traveled to the extremes of the earth, you will be treading new ground on this expedition premiere with the HANSEATIC, setting course for the Chukchi Peninsula and its unknown coasts to the east and north – for some intensive wildlife observations. The expeditionary experiences intensify still further as the ship first heads for the first time to Wrangel Island. A Russian prohibited zone for many decades and scarcely accessible even today due to the icy conditions, this is true pioneering territory in the most magnificent natural setting. Even in summer, is often surrounded by a thick belt of drift ice. Polar bears hunting for seals can often be seen on the belt of drift ice. The HANSEATIC will stay here for four intensive days as you explore the most beautiful aspects of Wrangel Island.
- Trip Details: This 15-day itinerary is from July 29-August 13, 2014, from Nome/Alaska to Nome Alaska, (includes a charter flight from Vancouver to Nome) rates start at $11,280 per person/ based on double occupancy, not including travel arrangements to Vancouver.
Of Maps and Men, The Pursuit of The Northwest Passage
In 2014, Hapag-Lloyd Cruises’ popular Northwest Passage will be offered with a shorter itinerary, through the High Artic, along the icy coast of Greenland and the islands off of Canada.
- Trip Details: This 19-day itinerary is from August 18-September 6, 2014, from Kangerlussuaq/Greenland to Reykjavik/Iceland, rates for this itinerary start at $12,800 per person/ based on double occupancy, cruise-only.
In addition to observing bird colonies, guests will also have the opportunity to explore the Falkland Islands and South Georgia, bath in the hot springs on Deception Island and observe whales in the Antarctic Sound.
- Antarctica and the Australia and New Zealand’s Sub Antarctic Circle: This 26-day itinerary on the HANSEATIC is from January 25 – February 21, 2014, from Ushuaia/Argentina to Bluff/New Zealand, with stops in Macquarie Island/Australia and Auckland Island/New Zealand, rates start at $20,550 per person.
- Antarctica: This 18-day itinerary on the HANSEATIC is from January 22-February 9, 2015, from Ushuaia to Ushuaia, (includes a roundtrip charter flight from Buenos Aires) rates start at $13,700 per person.
- Antarctica: This 19-day itinerary on the HANSEATIC is from February 9-28, 2015, from Ushuaia to Ushuaia, (includes a roundtrip charter flight from Buenos Aires) rates start at $14,270 per person.
- Antarctic Circle: This 20-day itinerary on the BREMEN is from February 12-March 4, 2015, from Ushuaia to Montevideo, (includes a charter flight from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia) rates start at $13,380 per person.
- Chilean Fjords: This 18-day itinerary is from February 28-March 18, 2014 on the BREMEN, from Ushuaia/Argentina (includes a charter flight from Buenos Aires) to Callao/Lima/Peru, rates start at $9,310 per person.
- Cape Verde and the Canary Islands: This 14-day itinerary on the HANSEATIC is from October 11- 25, 2014, from Funchal/Portugal to Senegal/Dakar, rates start at $7,260 per person.
- The Amazon: This 16-day itinerary on the BREMEN is from April 10-26, 2015, from Iquitos/ Peru (includes a charter flight from Lima) to Belem/Brazil, rates start at $9,520 per person.
- The Inside Passage of Alaska: This 16-day itinerary is from July 13-29, 2014 on the HANSEATIC, from Vancouver/Canada to Nome/Alaska, (includes a charter flight from Nome to Vancouver/Canada), rates for this itinerary start at $10,430 per person. This itinerary is part of Hapag-Lloyd Cruises “Voyage for Young Discoverers,” welcoming children between the ages of 10-17, with special guided tours of the bridge, as well age appropriate educational and entertainment programs.