I’ve talked a bit on the site about repositioning cruises, and the value they offer as a unique experience. They are a wonderful option for those of you who enjoy those long, calm days at sea.I recently got information on the repositioning offerings for ultra-luxury line Crystal Cruises. They have an impressive amount of cruises throughout 2013, and will be offering new itineraries on 60% of the voyages. Even for seasoned Crystal cruisers, there’s a whole new world to be explored; unusual voyages across the Atlantic, Pacific and American coastlines, from Northern to Southern Europe, North America to South America, and more.Crystal reports that they will be offering the following repositioning cruises for 2013:
Kobe to Vancouver (April 12)—A “Trans-Pacific/Alaska” crossing, on Crystal Symphony, featuring:
- Kobe, Japan overnight.
- Rare visit to Petropavlosk, showcasing Russian Far East culture and natural bounties such as 68 active volcanoes.
- Crystal’s only Alaskan cruise in 2013, with four calls including lesser-visited Dutch Harbor and Kodiak, plus Seward and Ketchikan.
- “Ocean Views” theme featuring lively debate among world affairs experts about current issues.
NY to Reyjkavik (May 23)—A rare spring “New England/Canada “Trans-Atlantic” voyage on Crystal Symphony featuring seven ports and:
- Manhattan overnight.
- Traditional New England ports, including Newport, RI; Boston, MA; Bar Harbor, ME; Halifax, Nova Scotia; and St. John’s, Newfoundland.
- New overnight in Reykjavik.
- “Wine and Food” theme with guest culinary experts and complimentary classes.
Barcelona–London (May 30)/London–Barcelona (Sept. 2) —These nine-day cruises reposition Crystal Serenity between Baltic/N. Europe and Mediterranean/S. Europe seasons, offering:
- Extended time in the world’s preeminent wine country via Bordeaux overnights.
- Beautiful colonial-architecture-filled Lisbon.
- Intimate southern Spain, with Barcelona overnight and Cadiz/Seville call from London, and Barcelona, Málaga, and rarely-visited Cartagena calls when sailing to London.
- Unique UK islands: Gibraltar (Barcelona-London) and the Channel Islands (London-Barcelona).
Miami-Rio (Nov. 23)—Crystal Symphony moves from North to South America, offering:
- Convenient Miami departure.
- Rio de Janeiro overnight.
- Caribbean stops in Barbados and Devil’s Island, French Guiana.
- Intimate, off-the-beaten-path Brazil, including a maiden call in Natal, plus Belém, Fortaleza, Maceió, and Salvador stops.
- “Wine and Food” theme and extra-special culinary indulgences during U.S. Thanksgiving.
Additional 2013 “repos” that sail outside of the box include:
LA-NY Panama Canal (May 6) with rare call to Charleston and a “Garden and Floral Design” theme offering shore excursions to local gardens across the eastern seaboard .
“Trans-Atlantic” from London (Sept. 2), ending in Boston for Crystal’s first time ever, with two calls in Scotland en route.
NY-Miami (Nov. 2) offering extended time in the U.S. Southeast (Charleston, Savannah, and maiden call to St. Augustine), plus Baltimore, Turks & Caicos, Curacao, Aruba and a “Film and Theatre” theme.
Classic crossings, each with a “Big Band and Ballroom Dance” theme, include:
Miami–Lisbon (March 31)—A dozen Ambassador Hosts to dance and dine with guests, 10 days across the pond, and a visit to Portugal’s Madeira Island.
Barcelona–Miami (Dec. 9)—Nine luxurious sea days plus calls in the Canary Is. and St. Maarten.