Small ship line Cruise West recently announced new itineraries aboard the Spirit of America (formerly Spirit of Glacier Bay) sailing on the Mississippi, Ohio, Tennessee, and Cumberland Rivers, starting in March, 2011.
The line has added these itineraries in response to overwhelming consumer request; they are now the only line offering overnight cruises on these American Rivers. Many cruisers are rejoicing at the opportunity to cruise these great rivers, especially the Mississippi, which as North America’s longest river plays such a large and iconic role in America’s history, culture and literature.
Guests sailing the Mississippi River on the New Orleans to Memphis itinerary, for example, will play witness to mansions, plantations, and poignant civil war monuments.
Other highlights of this 7-day cruise include:
- Oak Alley Plantation, the most photographed plantation in the South.
- Visiting The Myrtles – “America’s Most Haunted House.”
- Spectacular antebellum and Victorian architecture of picturesque Natchez, Missouri.
- Vicksburg National Military Park, scene of the Civil War battle that gave the North control of the Mississippi.
- A visit through Helena, Arkansas – one-time home to no fewer than seven generals of the confederacy.
These great North American cruises offer a walk through time and history…think about one for a one of a kind family vacation this year. It’s a great way to see the country and learn more about its glorious past.