Passport Information


PassportBe absolutely sure to investigate passport requirements very thoroughly before booking your cruise.

A passport can mean the difference between taking a fantastic trip… and not taking one at all.

Note: Cruise Ship Passengers: U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same U.S. port) can enter or depart the country with a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents, and visit for all the details.

As of June 1, 2009, the U.S. government implemented the full requirements of the land and sea phase of Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative.


Be sure you are in the know about this important issue.

For complete information please visit

The rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have a passport, passport card, or other travel document approved by the Department of Homeland Security. Complete Passport Information

Get the newest information on your passport, visa, and health requirements-which can vary by travel mode-well in advance of your trip.

Remember, you need to allow at least 6-8 weeks to obtain a passport. Expediting services are available, but expensive. Please see list of expediting services below.

United States citizens can visit the State Department’s web site, or call the U.S. National Passport Information Center: (877) 4USA-PPT.

For information on the U.S. National Passport Information Center, please visit:

Crossing borders only by land and sea? You may have another identification option.

The Enhanced Driver’s License

Enhanced Driver’s Licenses (“EDL”) are now being issued or will be issued by six states: Washington State, New York, Michigan, Vermont, California and Arizona. The EDL can be used by U.S. citizens for entering the U.S. at land and sea ports of entry instead of a passport card or book. The EDL gives the holder the right to drive a vehicle, it proves the identity of the holder, and it proves the U.S. citizenship of the holder.

Because the EDL passport card is restricted in use for crossing borders only by land and sea and cannot be used for international air travel, it is recommended that travelers still maintain a traditional passport.

For more information on the EDL, please visit Homeland Security’s webpage by clicking here.

Citizens of states not issuing an EDL cannot obtain one and must apply for either a passport card or a passport book. For more information, contact the DMV in the issuing state. For a list of links to the 50 states DMV webpages, click here.