Norwegian Cruise Line:
Baby Boomers: NCL is well known for their “Freestyle Cruising” philosophy. However, what’s less widely known is that they’ve been developing their own style of luxury onboard; there is a section of the ship dedicated to their “elite” guests. The Haven is a private “ship-within-a-ship” area with the finest amenities, including concierge and 24-hour butlers. A private courtyard allows guests to relax and dine in seclusion from the rest of the ship.
Gen Y: Norwegian’s “Freestyle Cruising” is very popular with young adults; the premise is that you can pretty much do things the way you like on NCL cruises; there are no dress requirements for the ship, no set meal times and no fixed schedule. This allows young adults to take a run stories above the ocean, visit a casino or join a Pub Crawl as they see fit. There is also a bowling alley on some of the ships and a club type of atmosphere in the bars.
Accommodations on NCL to please the Boomers:
- Owner’s Suite Connecting with Penthouse – This is the largest Owner’s Suite that accommodates two, but connects with a Penthouse Suite that sleeps three. On NCL, children can be in cabin next door, even if it is not adjoining.
- Aft-Facing Owner’s Suite with Large Balcony – These Owner’s Suites with a Large Balcony are great for up to two guests. They include a living room, dining room and separate bedroom with king-size bed. Along with a walk-in closet, luxury bath with whirlpool tub and a large aft-facing balcony with an incredible view. Includes butler and concierge service.
- Penthouse with Large Balcony – These Penthouses sleep up to three guests, and include a bedroom with queen-size bed, luxury bath with shower, living area, dining area, additional bedding to sleep one additional guest and a large private balcony to enjoy the view. Includes butler and concierge service.
- Family Villas & Courtyard Penthouses — Luxe, one or two-bedroom Family Villas can be share with up to five people, where you can enjoy dinner on your private balcony or breakfast in bed. NCL provides suites and villas that offer more exclusive experiences, catering to the mature and discerning cruiser. Butlers and concierges supply champagne, gourmet appetizers, elegant floral arrangements and luxurious bath products. There are private courtyards with pools, comfy oversized daybeds, sundecks and hot tubs and private fitness and steam rooms.
- There are also Deluxe Owner’s Suites and Owner’s Suites –Suites with walls of windows — most Owners’ Suites and Deluxe Owner’s Suites include one or two large balconies, and also offer you access to all the amenities of the exclusive Courtyard.
- Spa Suites, Penthouses & Suites, Balconies, Family Accommodations and Beyond
A collection of staterooms that range from Mini-Suites to connecting Balcony Staterooms to our Family Balcony Staterooms and more, all with a private balcony.
Notes regarding On-Board Communications, Alcohol and Gambling on NCL:
- Generally the casino allows age 18, drinking age can be 18 with consent form (wine and beer only), and clubs allow 18 and up with permission.
- Passengers 18 through 20 with written parental or guardian consent can purchase beer or wine for themselves only when the ship is sailing in international waters (except in Alaska and Hawaii, where you must be 21 years of age to consume or purchase alcohol).
- To gamble in the casino, passengers must be 18.
- No guest under the age of 21 will be reserved in a stateroom unless accompanied by an adult 21 or older. This age limit will be waived for minor children sailing with their parents or guardians in adjacent staterooms or under-aged married couples (proof of marriage is required).
All of NCL’s ships have Internet Cafés for those who need to be online. Guests can make and receive calls, send and receive text messages and read emails and surf the web on their own cell phones and mobile devices just as they do on land when the ship is at sea with the Freestyle Cellular Service. (In the US and the Caribbean, this service is available once the ship is 12 miles from shore, but not while in port. In Europe, service is available when the ship is 2 nautical miles from shore.) Check with both the cruise line and wireless carrier to identify any additional calling/texting costs.